Alligators. World-renowned species of birds taking flight. Dogs performing amazing feats of athleticism. Whatever your favorite animal may be, there’s a good chance you can check it out at the Southeastern Wildlife Exposition (SEWE) right here in Charleston, SC. This exposition isn’t just a pretty show—it’s one of the hottest tickets in town every single year. This year, festivities will take place February 17-19 (Fri-Sun).
What SEWE Brings Every Year
SEWE was first established in 1982, with the first event held in 1983. Ever since then, SEWE has only grown in popularity, now known as the largest wildlife exposition in the entire United States, with some 40,000 attendees for hundreds of attractions featuring animals, the arts and more. In 1986, SEWE won a Governor’s Cup for “Outstanding Tourist Event”—and they haven’t let up yet. Many supporters volunteer their time and energy to help make the SEWE possible, which in turn makes it an event Charlestonians are proud to host.
What You Can Expect at the 2017 SEWE
SEWE gets a lot of popularity from its dog attractions, especially when dogs put on the special show they’re known for every year. The event is also well known as an art exposition for its various artist contributions. One gander at the SEWE schedule will have your head spinning:
- The famous Dockdogs® show opens for registration on the 17th. This show is known as one of the top exhibitions of canine athleticism, with dogs competing in a variety of aquatics activities and showing off their skill.
- Birds of Prey Flight Demos show off the hunting, tracking, and majesty of some of your favorite birds of prey. These highly trained birds are always a crowd-pleaser.
- Films and art exhibitions: In addition to the animals participating in SEWE, there are some truly fascinating and insightful films and artwork on display for ticketholders to enjoy.
- Chef Demonstration: Michelle Weaver of the Charleston Grill will be showing off her culinary skills, highlighting locally-sourced ingredients.
- Flyfishing demonstration will teach people how to better get outdoors and enjoy the beauty of South Carolina’s rivers and streams.
Registration for General Admission is open now and only costs $25 per ticket. There isn’t much time left, so be sure to secure your spot inside the SEWE soon.
While You’re In Town For SEWE…
Hopefully, SEWE will introduce you to another side of our great city. If you’re visiting Charleston for SEWE 2017, there’s even more of our great city to enjoy. From rich historical museums and preserved houses to the beautiful sites of downtown Charleston, the best way to enjoy Charleston is with on a horse-drawn carriage tour.