Transportation in Charleston: 5 Unique Ways to Get Around
If you’re planning a visit to Charleston, South Carolina, you’ve no doubt been drawn in by this city’s fascinating history, incredible architecture, and phenomenal culture. With so many sights to see, it’s easy to become so focused on the attractions themselves that you forget you’ll need to find a way to physically get there. Fortunately, Charleston has numerous ways to get from point A to point B. In fact, many of these modes of transportation are ones you won’t find just anywhere. You can certainly rent a car, reserve a car service, or take a shuttle while you’re here. But you can also enjoy several unique ways to get around our fair city.
Unique Ways to Get Around Charleston, SC
- Bike Sharing: Charleston’s official bike share program, Holy Spokes, has 27 locations throughout the city. You can reserve a bike using their mobile app or on the physical bicycle itself, unlock it, and explore on two wheels. When you’re finished, just return the bike to one of their many locations. It’s a seriously simple (and healthy!) way to take in Charleston’s breathtaking views and experience the city like a local. May we suggest one of the city’s many bike trails?
- Trolley: If you’re in town for a business conference or are planning to get hitched in Charleston, you can get a taste of traditional charm by booking a private trolley rental! Explore Charleston in perfectly restored vintage splendor by arranging a tour and catching some of the city’s most beautiful views. While you can’t take a trolley downtown and it isn’t a spur-of-the-moment option, it can certainly make your visit or occasion even more special.
- Boat: Since Charleston boasts approximately 90 miles of Atlantic coastline, your transportation choices don’t have to be limited to what’s on land. You can embark on a fishing charter or hop on a boat at any time by using the HOBA app, which directly connects you with local captains. It’s sort of like Uber for the water. If you need an innovative way to entertain and impress clients or you simply want to enjoy a relaxing ride with your family, a boat ride may be the way to go.
- Water Taxi: Speaking of water-based transportation, you definitely need to check out Charleston’s water taxis while you’re here. Charleston Water Taxi offers ferry service, dolphin-watching, and sightseeing cruises at extremely affordable prices. And because these water taxis depart from several locations, you’ll be able to get out on the open water no matter where you are. You don’t even have to make a reservation.
- Horse Drawn Carriage Tours: Of course, you can’t discuss Charleston’s unique transportation options without mentioning horse carriage rides! By reserving daytime or evening carriage tours, you’ll be able to appreciate what makes this city so extraordinary. You’ll feel like you’re stepping back in time when you experience our fully-narrated, hour-long tours led by our expert guides. And because our daytime and evening carriage tours have several different routes available, each time you ride will offer different sights and bits of history. This is a truly special way to get to know what makes Charleston so different.
When you visit a new city, making an effort to see this destination from different viewpoints will definitely pay off. There’s no better way to do that than by exploring different transportation methods. To find out more about booking our daytime or evening carriage tours during your visit to Charleston, please get in touch with us today.